Thursday, March 11, 2010

Final Potty Training Tip


This story is from a family I have worked for since their youngest (who is now 3) was still being swaddled. I love this family dearly and have truly treasured all the moments I have gotten to spend with them.

On this day however, I was struggling to stay on top of the demands of keeping up with two young children.

The Big Sister had started potty training and we were working through a very real fear of the toilet. She had this way of “holding it” all day and only going when we put diapers on her for nap and nighttime. As you can guess this is not good for her digestive system, so we had all spent many hours sitting on the bathroom floor trying to make the potty fun!

After doing this for about 10 minutes on this day, the three of us had to move on to the Little Sister's needs, which was a diaper change (a not so fun one).

As I was doing this Big Sister was playing around the house….or so I thought. After a few minutes Big Sister walks in, looks me right in the eye, and says,

“I pooped!”

I start thinking omg! She pooped? Wonderful! She did it by herself? On the potty? Omg what an awesome……WAIT

“Where did you poop?” I asked, hoping hoping...

“In the kitchen” She replies.


Final Potty training tip. Your kids are going to have accidents. Try really hard to keep your cool and remember, you never got anything on the first try either.

1 comment: